AAA COLORADO ASKS – IS YOUR CAR READY FOR WINTER? PREPARE AS CLOCKS TURN BACK
Denver, October 20 – Consumers have leveraged the changing of the clocks back to standard time as a reminder to do important but infrequent tasks like replacing smoke alarm batteries. AAA Colorado suggests motorists also use this November 2 event as a reminder to prepare their vehicle for winter.
Harsh winter conditions make your vehicle work harder, particularly the charging and starting system, headlights, tires and windshield wipers. AAA Colorado recommends that motorists:
- Have their car’s battery checked by a professional to ensure it is strong enough to face cold weather.
- Have any engine drivability problems corrected at a good repair shop. Symptoms like hard starts, rough idling, stalling or diminished power could signal a problem that would be exacerbated by cold weather.
- Replace worn windshield-wiper blades and use cold-weather windshield washer solvent.
- Inspect all lights and bulbs and replace burned out bulbs. Clean road grime or clouding from all lenses.
- Examine tires for tread depth, uneven wearing and cupping. Check tire pressures once a month when tires are cold, before driving for any distance.
- Place a winter emergency kit in the car. A well prepared Winter Emergency Kit may include an ice scraper with snow brush, flashlight with extra batteries, jumper cables, cell phone car charger, general first aid kit, blanket, extra set of warm clothes for driver and all regular passengers (gloves, hats, boots), non-clumping kitty litter for traction, flares or reflective triangles, gallon jug of water, non-perishable food items for both human and pet passengers, window washer solvent and shovel.
AAA Approved Auto Repair facilities in Colorado offer members a free maintenance inspection, written estimates, warranty on their work and dispute resolution from AAA. These facilities must meet and maintain high professional standards for customer service, technician training, tools, equipment, warranties and cleanliness. AAA Approved Auto Repair shops can be located at AAA.com/repair.
AAA Colorado provides more than 600,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services and is a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers.