AAA Colorado Names Top International Travel Destinations
European cities and sunny destinations top list
DENVER, September 30, 2015 — Whether travelers are planning an off-season trip this fall, a memorable holiday getaway, or a dream summer vacation, now is an ideal time to plan an international vacation, according to the travel experts at AAA Colorado. In addition to warm-weather destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean, European cities top AAA Colorado’s list of the most popular international travel destinations.
AAA Colorado’s top destinations for international travel through July 2016, are:
- London, England
- Rome, Italy
- Cancun, Mexico
- Paris, France
- Dublin, Ireland
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Oranjestad, Aruba
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Prague, Czech Republic
“Travelers heading to Europe will enjoy favorable currency exchange rates, making now an excellent time to plan a trip overseas,” said Bob Hirsch, Vice President of Member Experience. “Unique experiences such as river cruising are incredibly popular as well, as travelers look for opportunities to immerse themselves in a destination’s local culture while enjoying a hassle-free vacation experience abroad.”
AAA Travel Agents’ Top Tips for International Travelers
- Plan ahead to make sure travel plans are not delayed by the passport application process. It can take up to six weeks to get a new passport, so allow plenty of time to secure the necessary documents. Some countries require that a traveler’s passport be valid for at least six months beyond the dates of the trip. Passport photos can be obtained at select local AAA offices.
- For travelers planning to drive overseas, an International Driving Permit (IDP) may be required. Many countries do not recognize U.S. driver’s licenses without an accompanying IDP, and it is illegal to drive without a valid license and insurance in most places. Even for those not planning to drive internationally, an IDP is recommended to serve as an additional source of identification. AAA is one of only two private entities in the U.S. authorized by the Department of State to issue IDPs.
- Refer to the U.S. Department of State’s current list of travel advisories and register all international travel plans with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). By enrolling in STEP, U.S. travelers make it easier for the local embassy or consulate to contact them in case of an emergency.
- Travelers should notify their bank and credit card companies’ fraud departments before traveling internationally to let them know what countries the card will be used in to avoid service interruptions. Use a chip-embedded credit card with EMV technology, a more secure system being adopted in the U.S. that is already widely used throughout Europe.
- For travelers planning to stay in touch with loved ones while traveling, subscribe to an international data plan with your current cell phone company or a local provider.
- When traveling internationally, avoid exchanging foreign currency at the airport or train station as kiosks there often charge high exchange rates or service fees. Check with a travel agent or bank to exchange currencies before an international vacation.
ABOUT AAA COLORADO
AAA Colorado has more than 600,000 members and is an advocate for safety and security for all travelers. As North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 54 million members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive related services, as well as member exclusive savings.